Thursday, October 28, 2004

A personal aside

Happy birthday, cuteness!



Update: Blogger has been fighting me a bit today, so belatedly posting this poem fragment for R, taken from "Poem in October" by Dylan Thomas (but with line indentations a bit ruined...):
...I saw in the turning so clearly a child's
Forgotten mornings when he walked with his mother
Through the parables
Of sun light
And the legends of the green chapels

And the twice told fields of infancy
That his tears burned my cheeks and his heart moved in mine.
These were the woods the river and sea
Where a boy
In the listening
Summertime of the dead whispered the truth of his joy
To the trees and the stones and the fish in the tide.
And the mystery
Sang alive
Still in the water and singingbirds.

And there could I marvel my birthday
Away but the weather turned around. And the true
Joy of the long dead child sang burning
In the sun.
It was my thirtieth
Year to heaven stood there then in the summer noon
Through the town below lay leaved with October blood.
O may my heart's truth
Still be sung
On this high hill in a year's turning.

(via wood s lot)

No comments: