Monday, November 08, 2004

Knee-jerk responses

There's been a lot of wailing among Kerry supporters about the ignorance of "red-staters" in voting their "values" even when they are clearly undermining their own interests in all other departments (especially their economic interests). Rafe at rc3.org provides a welcome reality check for liberals:
I don't vote for Democrats because it's in my own self interest. I'm a white male American citizen with an income above the median income in this country. I have no kids and am almost guaranteed never to have any. Economically speaking, the Republican party probably helps me out more than the Democrats. But I never vote for Republicans, because they don't share my values. It was then that it hit me that I'm a full fledged member of the liberal elite. That's what conservatives call people who vote for Democrats based on values rather than their own self interest. I feel special.
Oh! right. yes. In fact, liberals often take pride in voting against our own interests (esp. for tax hikes) for the "greater good." It's good to remember that that's what those people are doing too, even if their conception of the greater good differs from ours. It helps keep us from dismissing them as idiots, and may help keep us capable of the dialogue that the coming years will clearly require...

No comments: