Thursday, November 18, 2004

Off-kilter . . .

I got totally sucked into Digby's rundown/excerpting of a profile of this year's Undecided Voters. As he puts it, they aren't just stupid, but clueless in a number of unexpected and fascinating ways.
The undecideds I spoke to didn't seem to have any intuitive grasp of what kinds of grievances qualify as political grievances. duh Often, once I would engage undecided voters, they would list concerns, such as the rising cost of health care; but when I would tell them that Kerry had a plan to lower health-care premiums, they would respond in disbelief--not in disbelief that he had a plan, but that the cost of health care was a political issue. It was as if you were telling them that Kerry was promising to extend summer into December.
This blows my mind. Lots of other oddities too. (The original full-length New Republic article is here, for those wanting to jump directly to that; registration required.)

No comments: