Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Life in Iraq

Lots of rather dismal reading out there about how life has changed in Iraq in the new post-Saddam era. The consensus seems to be that life for women is much worse than before. Barry at Alas has a good summary with related links in two posts here and here.
Of course women suffered under Saddam. I fled his cruel regime. I personally witnessed much brutality but the subjugation of women was never a Baath Party goal. What we are seeing is deeply worrying: a reviled occupation and an openly reactionary Islamic armed insurrection taking Iraq into a new dark age.
(secondary pull-quote from Media Girl)
A little chilling to hit his summary rumination: female symbol
Increasingly, when I hear people saying we’ve “liberated the people of Iraq,” I have to wonder if by people they mean men.
It makes me shiver.

No comments: