Friday, April 08, 2005

The real American Taliban

Via Pandagon, this report of a rather scary right-wing Christian sect/cult, the Dominionists, that wishes to replace the current form of American government with an explicitly Bible-based one.burning cross
In the conference's opening ceremony, the Dominionists recite an oath they dream of hearing in every classroom: "I pledge allegiance to the Christian flag, and to the Savior for whose kingdom it stands. One Savior, crucified, risen and coming again, with life and liberty for all who believe."
I don't know which is creepier, the totalitarian impulses of this group, or their complete conflation of their religion and their patriotic fervor. (why choose? fear both!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That pledge and the dominionist approach has been around for a long time. We recited that pledge in the fundie school I went to for a few years. There was also a pledge to the Bible.

Coincidentally, I just resurrected a link to an old post by galiel at dKos about the Dominionists over at my site. They're definitely on the rampage.

Medley
Uncorked.org

ACM said...

I think the push-button phrase for me was "the Savior for whose kingdom it stands" -- ?????

I guess we all survive insanities in our upbringing, but I hate to have to hope that the nation and its leaders have your strength of mind/character to get them through! grump.