Monday, January 16, 2006

Cronkite calls for Iraq pull-out

Striking. [Registration required.] In particular, he thinks we missed a key opportunity to pull out of Iraq when hurricanes Katrina and Rita made the need for resources at home so glaring and immediate.
"I think we would have been able to retire with honor," Cronkite said. "In fact, I think we can retire with honor anyway...we've done everything we can," he said, adding, "It is my belief that we should get out now."
Indeed. Not sure that Cronkite's opinion carries the weight today that it did for Johnson, but every voice in the chorus is another that might be heard...

1 comment:

EB said...

Oh, you think there's actually real debate going on about this? Call me cynical, but I thought we were already in the final act of this pageant. The administration has to hold out long enough to make it look like they're not capitulating, but quickly enough that they don't lose both houses of Congress. Think summertime. (Not that all the troops will be out, but they'll have been pulled out of the cities, and the drawndown underway by the election.)

It's a done deal, mark my words.