Friday, February 03, 2006

Apparently there's not much happening today

So that makes it a good time for a link-dump! Here's some wacky and interesting bits to carry you through the weekend:
  • Here's a fascinating story that I hardly know what to do with: non-English Scrabble players can excel by treating the game as a mathematical strategy game. I love games, but when you're at the point that they're just letter combinations, I think you're playing something other than Scrabble.
    (via kottke)

  • Here's some evidence that cooking makes you smarter. Perhaps I need to get back into my kitchen a bit...

  • A very funny photo-quote on modern day trophy collection.
    (via dooce's cousin George)

  • For others who share my difficulty in getting out of bed, a new option: a buzzing insect alarm clock -- it actually flies around the room a bit to keep the snooze button out of reach.
    (via boing boing)

  • More evidence that academics can make the simplest problem more complex: economists discuss how to split a cab fare.
    (via kottke)

  • No longer new, but still fascinating, is Google Earth, a linkage of maps to satellite views of just about everywhere.
    (via Mithras at Fables of the Reconstruction)

  • Also for the scientifically inclined, stages in the nuking of a tomato (in a microwave). And, related, a museum of burnt food.
    (latter via Rebecca's Pocket)

  • Here's a photographer who makes magic out of insect photos.
    (via boing boing)

  • And last, more than you ever wanted to know about how to wrap a present.
    (via Medley)
Finally, in the "shows what *I* know" department: while I have happily showcased pictures of pal Josh in this space, I thought that perhaps his S.O. Lisa would just as soon be left out of the whole arena of public humiliation celebration. But no! I am given to understand that, quite in contrast, Lisa feels a bit neglected in the whole carnival of two-legged pets. Well, to make up for this unintended oversight, we offer you a double dose, with Josh and Lisa on their wedding day:

awwwwwww

Of course, we've got a pretty busy dance card here, what with all the kittens and occasional appearances of the already Clashing Titans Sid and Josh, so no promises about the future. What do you think this is, a democracy??

Happy weekend, all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I made the limelight! I can feel my fifteen minutes slipping away!

-- Lisa

(OK, this is really Josh making fun of my darlin' wife)