Friday, February 10, 2006

A sadly familiar tale

A diarist at dailyKos shares a story of losing a lifelong friend to wingnut propaganda. It will sound all too familiar to many people who find themselves having to dance around the alienating views of friends and families these days, but I think part of why it resonates so much (and why I found myself reading hundreds of comments too)that hurt! is because it feels like a reflection of the greater divisions happening throughout the nation, as conservatives increasingly demonize the left and dismiss its right to participate in the discussion. How do we get from there back to recognizing each other as human beings and working together on the difficult challenges that face us? How??

(via a Medley furling)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find myself compulsively reading hundreds of comments in those sorts of threads, as well.

We are dealing with a similar situation with parts of our family, which for obvious reasons I can't write about on my own site... Apart from the personal angst, it is stunning to me to feel that as a nation it has been so easy to fall back into fear and spite and see friends turn on friends and family members turn on family members.

I find it bewildering and shocking and am at a loss as to how to cope with it - on the advice of another family member that things are just unsalvageable, we've basically just de facto resorted to doing nothing but very infrequent and pro forma communications.

-Mdly