Friday, May 26, 2006

Criticism raised to the level of art

I don't read David Brooks' columns, both for sanity preservation and because of the new paid-only firewall. But I almost wish I did, just to more fully appreciate the fine artistry with which Tom Tomorrow dissects and slaughters the latest piece.
At some point in every David Brooks column, you reach the "has he ever...?" moment. As in, "has he ever actually met/seen/spoken to a representative of the group about which he is making wild unsubstantiated generalizations?" That moment comes rather quickly in this one — in the second paragraph, to be exact. Allow me to repeat that last bit for emphasis:
For example, inequality is much lower when measured by consumption than by income because poorer people now spend much more than they officially report as income.
What I believe he’s referring to, with this glib reference to inequality "measured by consumption," is what the rest of us call "crushing consumer debt."
But really, this is the serious part; as Brooks spins off into space, Tom conjurs a cotton candy ball to muffle him with. Go, read!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HA. Good for Tom. I can't read Brooks either (same reasons as you).

Awhile back someone had the idea that we farm out fact- and logic-checking major columnists duties to a bunch of bloggers - You take Broder, I'll take Cohen, he'll take Krauthammer.. that kind of thing.

I think it was when NYT reporter Jodi Wilgoren was being so awful in her coverage of Howard Dean. (Maybe it was aimed at reporters, not columnists.. I don't remember..)

Anyway, then week-by-week there'd be a go to place for analysis of the vapid anti-intellectual blatherings of too many of these opinion writers.

I think that would be a great project...