Thursday, June 14, 2007

Adventures in produce II: More spring veggies

Our second batch came in late last week -- thanks to Sid for picking up the crate while we were hiding in the shade of Cape Cod. A couple repeat entries, plus some new stuff. (We also got some strawberries, which were granted to Sid as partial repayment for his efforts.) It feels like we can eat the produce at the rate that we receive it, although it is likely to lead to more frequent (and more adventurous) midweek cooking...

lettuces
A couple of nice lettuces: red leaf and one whose name I've forgotten.

zucchini and scallions
The first, tiny, zucchini of the year, along with another batch of scallions
(this time round and white, rather than long and purple-tinged).

tendrils and brocc
Another batch of pea tendrils, along with a simple head of broccoli
(which I've just learned that I don't know how to spell).

kohlrabi
This week's novelty: kohlrabi.
I know my mom made this once years back, but I have no idea what to expect.

The tendrils, zucchini, and scallions have already vanished into another spectacular quiche, which, with salad, makes a great dinner. Not sure yet what the kohlrabi will go into; perhaps a stir-fry with the broccoli. Also fun was that I noticed this time there were flowers on the pea tendrils -- pretty purple ones. I guess that the peas must be on the way. Anyway, a single one teased out looks a little like the flourish at the bottom of some Elizabethan stationery...

pea tendril with flower

No comments: