Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A tipping point

I certainly found Admiral Mullen's testimony striking and heartening:mashup of gender symbols (2)
"No matter how I look at this issue, I cannot escape being troubled by the fact that we have in place a policy which forces young men and women to lie about who they are in order to defend their fellow citizens," Mullen said. "For me, personally, it comes down to integrity, theirs as individuals and ours as an institution."
But this take, that this statement might indicate the tipping point of inevitable acceptance of gays in the military, goes even further than I might have hoped. Certainly, those who've said they'd follow the lead of the uniformed officers have no further excuse for hesitance; I look forward to a growing avalanche of support for the obviously right position here!

No comments: