- A wolf in sheep's clothing: PayPal screws small event organizers in a nontrivial way. Why all the evil, PayPal??
- From the Department of Unexamined Privilege: Summer Opportunities for Indentured Servitude.
Unpaid internships may expedite the climb up the employment ladder for students from relatively wealthy, well-connected families, but for others it just knocks out the bottom rungs altogether.(via Atrios)
- Depressing: the military attempts to reframe internet crime into a terrorism issue so that it can expand its domains of power. The language debate may have already been lost. sigh.
- Yay! some good news! Obama Administration to Cover PTSD for ALL Veterans (still, kind of tragic that it took this long...)
- From the Department of Counting Chickens (Schadenfreude office): The GOP's big November problem is that the public hates congressional Republicans! imagine!!
- Cool news of science: recent neuroscience findings indicate that we may affect the accuracy of our memories every time we recall them! Really neat for a neuro nerd like myself, as it turns some fundamental dogma on its head, but interesting for a general reader too, both conceptually and in how it might help with PTSD and other disorders.
(via rebecca's pocket)
- From the Department of Comeuppance: Lady Business: Cleavage in the workplace. hilarious and on-target.
- Planning a vacation? The ways to make it a great one may not be what you think; science has some tips.
- And finally, from the Department of Great Metaphors: Pandas and Lobsters: Why Google Cannot Build Social Applications... -- fascinating for its insights into the Internet social space, whether or not you care about Google's business decisions.
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Wednesday tab dump
Really large number of interesting things in the hopper, but a week of solo parenting means I have neither time nor energy to do them justice. So here they come!