- Zombie Marie Curie shares her wisdom (via xkcd): "You don't become great by trying to become great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process."
- Bad Job Market: Why the Media Is Always Wrong About the Value of a College Degree (it's always good, even if graduates sometimes end up tending bar)
- Cowboys and Pit Crews -- more from Atul Gwande on how the culture of medicine needs to be changed before we can get to less cost and better outcomes
- Tattoo Tracks Sodium and Glucose via an iPhone -- technology could allow noninvasive monitoring of many health conditions
- Pythagoras Solar Turns Windows Into Panels Of Energy -- imagine tall buildings with full solar panel coverage!
- Soda bottles become electricity-less “light bulbs” for the poor -- no electricity required during the day!
- Less transformative, but still inspiring: 50 creations from 50 pieces of Lego!
- Behind N.Y. Gay Marriage, an Unlikely Mix of Forces -- how that political reality came to be
- Obama Administration Reaches A Compromise On Fuel Economy Proposal -- recently bailed-out car companies get behind major improvements in mileage! yay!
- The medium chill -- getting off the aspirational treadmill and enjoying the life you have
- The real George Lucas has been imprisoned for 20 years while an impostor ran amok, making prequels (video "trailer")
- You gotta love that the CDC has a guide on surviving a Zombie Apocalypse!
- Muffin Films short silly bits, if you need some surreality...
- Define the Ratio of People to Cake -- a cranky journalist answers a collection of really strange interview questions
- How The BET Awards Changed My Life (by capturing the WTF face that summarizes our times)
- Plot Device -- a truly inspired little musing on what happens when plot twists get the upper hand on an afternoon
- Neil Patrick Harris' 2011 Tony Awards Opening Number for anybody who missed it -- Broadway's not just for gays anymore!!
- The Invaders Are Here! -- kitten versus apples; who will win?
Summer fun/try at home:
- What’s Scrabble When You Can Play Novelist? -- how to turn a heap of mindless summer reading into a fun party game
- Just what we've all been needing: a Make Everything Ok button!!
(a cheery toddler lunch by A Mindful Life!)