- U.S. Is Bankrupt and We Don't Even Know It whee
- FBI probes were improper, Justice says -- surprise! the FBI used 9/11 as an excuse to add liberal activists to terrorist watch lists. How long ago do the 1960s feel now?? Civil disobediance still scares The Man inordinately...
- Obama can learn from 'Godfather' -- being President should mean powers you can use. Of course, the author presumes that this oversight is accidental, rather than a fundamental feature of Obama's character; I think he likes to be a facilitator, not directly leverage action. Frustrating to watch!
- The wrong way to answer Ms. Velma Hart -- more on the President's falling short
- Do Not Pity the Democrats -- this takes the grim up a notch, pointing out that partisan politics are rather dwarfed by the growing and inappropriate power of corporations in modern America. A call to local organizing, whether for financial control, political reform, or just to put some counterweights out there against the monolithic oligarchy that is increasingly blind to the public at large.
- In the nonpolitical realm, 'Halfalogue': Overheard cell-phone conversations are not only annoying but reduce our attention -- our ability to think and reason are actually more disrupted by half a conversation than by having both halves in our auditory space. Interesting.
- Which is the gay one? My feeling about Don't Ask, Don't Tell in a nutshell!
- Things That Never Happen -- putting the frequency of things like child abductions into perspective:
The very definition of news is "something that almost never happens."
- Let Adults Hang Out at the Playground (Even if They Don't Have Kids) -- laws against this gut the meaning of "neighborhood"...
- related: 5 Worries Parents Should Drop, And 5 They Shouldn't
- Preschoolers use statistics to understand others -- spiffy bit of deduction there
- Fostering Your Toddler's Independent Play -- tips on gradual weaning from purely parent-led games; more here.
- Homeroom Security: a book about the insanity of zero-tolerance classroom policies, something I expect to encounter in a few years
- “What do you saay…?” Nooo Thanks! -- alternative ways to teach children polite behavior (like modelling!!)
- St. Louis' newish City Museum looks so creative and fantastical that it makes me want to invent an excuse to go back there! I wanna play too!!
Silliness and thoughtfulness
- I had *no* idea that the Miss Universe pageant featured an entry of extravagent national costumes, but it does, and these image collections, complete with snarky commentary, just cracked me up!!
- Dancing in the movies -- a montage that just makes you want to get out there and move! joyous.
- Repairing a Sexist Cartoon -- both frustrating and hilarious, in several takes.
- how to be alone -- a quiet video on making peace with solitude.
- Real Live Preacher offers Gentle Suggestions for Doubting Christians, nice indeed.