- The 10 weirdest physics facts, from relativity to quantum physics
- Ten Weirdest New Animals of 2010: [National Geographic] Editors' Picks -- why let physics have all the fun?
- The Truth Wears Off -- Is there something wrong with the scientific method? Talk about weird!! (!!)
- Leave Your Tasks Unfinished to Maintain Momentum and Avoid Mental Blocks -- counterintuitive at first glance, but spiff!
- The prettiest woodpile I've ever seen -- neat.
- The Human Incubator -- human contact can trump high technology.
- Turbine-free wind power -- a neat alternative in development
- Poetic sensitivities -- the limits of perception expressed in everyday terms (accidental poetry).
- Senate Passes 9/11 First Responders Health Care Bill -- ok, this was a while ago, but good to celebrate rare shows of sanity.
- Now We're Talking -- the argument you never hear: why the retirement age should be lowered, not raised. Atrios echoes and extends the idea here.
- Also too rarely seen: Muslim and Christian, Egyptians stand together against violence (this is before the current political unrest)
- Also uplifting: A Victim Treats His Mugger Right
- Don't Touch My Junk! Jesse Ventura Sues The TSA -- he might be just the guy to press this issue.
- Another dumb idea gets its comeuppance: Dubai's artificial islands "sinking"
- Totally inspired (and addictive) resource: Wikipedia's List of common misconceptions, from sports to religion and everything else.
- The Unspeakable, in Its Jammies -- how we deal with difficult language in literature (as in the recent Huck Finn controversy), and a touching account of discussing the matter with kids.
- Chop, Fry, Boil: Eating for One, or 6 Billion -- three basic approaches to cooking can do everything you need.
- Characters from The Wire broken down by appropriate D&D alignment -- soooo right.
- Brimming with Holiday Spirit -- Tom Tomorrow gets to the heart of why worry about Assaults on the Holidays are absurd...
- The Fun Theory -- can making things fun help people do the right thing? Dunno, but these little demonstrations make me pretty happy.
- My Blackberry is not working -- pure British sketch silliness.
Tuesday, February 01, 2011
Link dump II: Cheerful and/or interesting
And hey! I had more of these than of the grumpy kind!